Tuesday 3 December 2013

Editors

It started with an email to the Board of Directors back in 1997 from President Dusty Newey, that looked like this:

And boy did Marsha (now Cleveland) 'freshen up our newsletter'!  And along the way every member got to know her gentle patient nature.  Whether it was getting your quarterly newsletter, sending her an article or just asking her a question, you were interacting with one incredibly talented woman.

Marsha has now officially retired as CQA/ACC's Editor and if you are curious to see what she is going to do with all her spare time, read on.


 I am closing off the year with travel, something I haven’t done for a while. A friend I met in high school (so we have been friends for a long, long time!) asked if I would like to go to New York City with her.  Then I have a trip planned to Toronto to visit my Aunt and Uncle. I plan to spend more time with my grandson Riley.

After that, you can picture me spending nice, snow laden days snowmobiling with my husband Dwayne. When the weather changes completely, we will be boating out of nearby Pugwash Harbour or I will be sitting in the window overlooking the harbour in front of my sewing machine – and I will probably be sewing. Already, I have started to finish some of the many quilts I have started. I am also hoping to become, once again, more involved in my community.

It feels a little awkward to be recognized for doing what I have loved doing – I have had the most incredible experience working with so many talented and special people. That is without doubt what I will miss the most – well, after missing all those emails!

Thanks to all the quilters out there who have contributed/helped over the years. I wish Marcy all the best in her new position and know that she will be blessed with your wonderful support.

Marsha, there are not enough words to thank you for making 'The Canadian Quilter' what it is today, and not enough accolades to say thank you and we wish you all the best!


As you may be aware, we were fortunate to find a bright, exceptionally talented woman to become our new Editor.  Marcy Horswill has risen to the challenge of looking after our quarterly publication.



Here is a little background information from Marcy:

I currently reside in Cumberland, British Columbia, an artsy little community of 4,000 outside of Courtenay, BC. 

I am a quilter and fibre artist. I have been quilting for over twenty years. I started quilting traditionally at first, but moved to designing quilts and now on to fibre art, specializing in machine felting and the use of Tyvek. I belong to the Comox Valley Schoolhouse Quilters’ Guild, and we boast over 140 members. I am proud to be part of this guild and volunteer as the Program Coordinator.



I am a graphic designer and have been for over 28 years. This is apparent in my fibre designs... simple is better in my world. Despite my move to fibre art, I cherish hand work and love to hand bead and hand quilt.

I am excited to be the Editor of 'The Canadian Quilter'. I have wanted to be an editor of a magazine since I bought my first 'Victoria' magazine in 1989. This position is a dream come true 24 years later.



Already Marcy has her editorial team hopping and several new ideas are in the works.   It will be an exciting and fun time as we see what Marcy has planned for 'The Canadian Quilter'.  
Welcome aboard Marcy!



Jackie W

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations to Marcy! Looking forward to hearing lots more in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Marsha, enjoy your new adventures.....and welcome Marcy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Marcy! Uncle Ted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to both of you on your futures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much Marsha for all you have done to make our Canadian Quilter a showcase of Canadian quilting talent. Congratulations to you Marcy for achieving your dream and I look forward to seeing your editorial flair.

    ReplyDelete